Thursday, May 8, 2008

I feel like such a hippy for saying this

It stormed today. This afternoon after all the rain and funnel clouds cleared out there was still a bit of a cloud cover. As the sun began to set, it slowly descended below the covering of clouds, which made for a beautiful scene. The sunlight came in and, after breaking in the trees, hit the moisture rising over the water and over the grass, which caused everything to have a relaxed, peaceful glow about it. Off in the distance dark clouds were drifting in front of the sun, and it lit up their edges as they rolled along in the sky.

As an excuse to go outside, I called our dog Dixie to go for a walk so I wouldn’t look so weird standing out in the yard looking up at the sky. As I followed her around I kept looking at the scenery, and of course I got to thinking. I don’t know what it is about nature’s beauty that leads one’s thoughts to God, but as I stared at the trees, the water, and the sunset I felt that leading. I thought a little of how my faith isn’t exactly what it used to be. Deep down inside of me I think I just wanted God to be that sunset. I wanted God to be pure, good, beautiful, and right there where I could see him. I wanted God to be enormous, and yet simple -- as simple as the sun going down after a rainy day.

You see, I’ve been a bit worn down on Christianity lately. I’m worn down on all the extremely complicated arguments and theories that so many people, including me, have about God. It seems like there is always a traditional viewpoint which is then refuted by another group of people, to which the traditional group criticizes the new viewpoint. Criticism goes back and forth, and it sometimes seems like a lot of the argument is more about who is right than it is about arriving at truth. Since a lot of time these views depend on interpretation, you don’t really get a concrete answer, just two (or more) groups of people with opposing viewpoints and labels to go along with them. For instance, conservatives and liberals, creationists and evolutionists, or traditional and post-modern to name a few.

My problem with this is that it feels like Christianity is way too focused on Christians and not focused enough on Christ. It seems like we're always focusing in on what we're doing and how we're behaving ourselves, whether we are more right than the other denomination or whatever. It's like we get so caught up in making sure that we have God pinned down that we forget to take the time to live our lives with God in them. I realize that saying that and doing it are two different things, but isn't that what this thing is supposed to be about? Isn't it about knowing God?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m tired of being caught up in the argument and the debate of what to believe and how to believe it. I don’t want to be deceived and I want to know the truth, the right way to live and believe, but it seems so hard to dig out of this mess. Somehow I wish my faith in God could be as simple as watching the sunset, not about digging the right theological viewpoints out of a book or proving the other guy wrong so I can be right. I wish it could be more like standing outside, experiencing the beauty, and simply being there to take it all in.

I wonder if my life will ever get to that point.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think for me, the reason I like the sky so much is because it kinda shows the character of God. If you think about it, there is really no reason to have something that beautiful to look at everyday; yet he gave it to us anyway. In a way, i think he shows how personable he is.

It annoys me when people argue about Christianity. As long as you believe what is in the Bible, we're all going to Heaven and I think it sad when we sit here arguing about every detail all the time.

anyway, just my thoughts

andy said...

nice job matt. i think that faith, and following jesus, should look more like what you described.

kevin said...

i hear ya, matt. we just finished up a series at church led by a very bright and reasonable man on the coexistance of faith and science. after we concluded and headed out the door, i found myself looking for something "simple", something like a sunset.

i think it's tough when the truth that christians search for is subjective at best. things in life like walks on the beach, rainbows or a long talk with a dear friend at 300 in the morning can, obviously, remind us of how much god loves us. in the end, though, they are nothing more than metaphors. we ascribe godly value to things that make us happy as well as things that make us sad because we believe that god has a hand in all of them. but our metaphors, our sunsets, don't "prove" anything or end any arguments unfortunately. our faith, by definition, in just an opinion in and of itself.

as i've gotten older, i've learned not to begrudge christian debate as long as it stems from a love of god on both sides. consensus-building is just a newer form of evangelism, and, personally, i'd rather practice that than hang stuff on random people's doorknobs.

i encourage you to keep debating and support you in the idea that you don't need to prove anyone "wrong". and i'll keep praying that those sunsets that seem so "simple" are god's way of telling us that we are looking in the right places in our search to find him.

take care, matt.