Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Evolution 2

This post started out as a reply to some comments on my last blog. I tried to keep it short, but it turned out a little longer than I expected. So instead of posting a really long comment I just decided to make it another blog. It's still trimmed down, but I hope it clarifies how I feel about this issue.


If you look in Genesis in your Bible, you should be able to see that the first chapter is written in verses. For instance, the first line will start and then the second line will be indented, then the next line will start again at the margin. It may not be this way in all Bibles. In my NIV, one section starts at the margin and the lines underneath it are indented until the next section. No matter what version you have, the writing style should be different until you get to the story of Adam and Eve. Then it turns into paragraph form, like a story or a newspaper. This is when the poetry stops.

Now here you might say that since the poetry stops, that is where the real and literal fact begins. You could look at it that way, but I see it differently. I think that Adam and Eve and The Fall of Man are stories that help us understand what really took place. I don't think there was a literal Adam or a literal serpent or a literal fruit. I guess you could use the word "fiction" here.

Now some would say that if I say that story is fiction then I am saying it is untrue. Well, that depends on your definition of truth. Read the story of the Fall of Man and if you look closely you will see that the literal point of the story is that we broke our relationship with God and because of that we used to wear clothes and now we don't - that's what happened when Adam and Eve turned away from God. So is that the point of the Fall of Man? Is that why we have wars, road rage, genocide, pride, lust, and all that other stuff? Is it because some dude ate a forbidden apple and realized he had no clothes on? Or does this mean something deeper?

I would say that just because the story isn't factually true it doesn't mean that it's not real and God isn't real. I just think that the story of the Fall of Man explains why things are the way they are, why humans are the way they are, and not to mention, it says a LOT about our relationship to God.

You know, people don't give fictional stories enough credit sometimes. Just because a story is made up doesn't mean that it is irrelevant. In fact, the main reason stories are good is because they are relevant. We like stories because they tell us something about ourselves and about life. For instance, I read Harry Potter and that story makes me want to be brave or clever - or it helps me see that there is more to life than just the same old boring and mundane world where you go to work from 9 to 5 every day, pay your taxes, and then one day you die. Think about it, what would we think about life if we didn’t have stories to show us what’s important and meaningful? The truth is, stories go straight to our hearts, and we respond to that. Looking at it this way, it makes perfect sense that God would explain our existence, purpose, and relationship to him by telling a story.

Now, how far does this go? Do you say that the whole book of Genesis isn't factually true? Well, honestly, I don't know. I haven't thought it through or learned about it that far. I'm just going based on what I know. These are all my opinions and views so I don’t want to impose them on anybody. I appreciate the discussion and the honest opinions on this, and the last thing I want to do is make anyone mad. I’m always open to feedback, questions, and opinions (good or bad).

5 comments:

andy said...

i think that the form of poetry that is employed in the original hebrew uses the letters of the alphabet (a-z, so to speak). this is pretty common as a poetic form in the hebrew scriptures. so no matter how the english reads, it is poetry.

matt, i think you are spot on when you suggest that truth is bigger and deeper than fact. yes, facts are true, but so are other things. beauty reflects truth, but not in a scientific way. all art and emotion could fall into this too. not true in a factual sense, but, i would suggest true on a MUCH deeper level.

Elizabeth said...

Well personally, I have no reason not to believe that the stories aren't true. Parables, for instance, Jesus tell us are just metaphors. The Bible gives me no indication that these things should not be taken as literal fact. Therefore, that is the way I will take it.

Anonymous said...

I just don't understand WHY you would think it is fiction, when God never said it WAS fiction. I don't know, I'm just really confused now.

Jeff Roberts said...

The fact is no person knows how old the earth is exactly, especially a bunch of scientists whose theory's get disproved and changed a little or a lot every twenty or thirty years. I think we should all take a field trip to go see that "Expelled" movie. Anyway, myself I would take the Bible literally before I was swayed by "research" by scientists and "college professors" who are, don't forget, just people. And you know people are never wrong are they?

Ryan said...

I do disagree again, but I do sympathize to some of your points. I believe that stories are very important, and God uses stories. I believe that Harry Potter can be good, not necesarily bad. So from that standpoint I agree.

But why would God use these stories and they not be true? Why would God rely on fiction? In our fallen world, that may be all we have. We do not have utopia, so we romantasize and theorize utopia. Or we tell a story of a Fall, but how from that Fall we are all made right in the end (this sounds like the story of the Bible, right?).

All of these stories - even the non-Christian stories, comes from a Biblical worldview deep down. The non-Christian borrows from a Christian's handbook, in a sense.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is more metaphorical than I give it credit for. Scripture does use metaphors. But I doubt it. Why rests God's stories on fiction. Why can't they be real?

Again, just my thoughts, so take them for what their worth.

Ryan