Thursday, June 7, 2007

The NBA Finals: Spurs vs. Cavaliers

So tonight is the beginning of the NBA finals, which is something that is both exciting and sad because I love the NBA so much. It's been a good year with lots of excitement, etc.

This years finals will put the San Antonio Spurs against the Cleveland Cavaliers. I personally hate the Spurs, but it's a respectful hate. Deep down I really do like the Spurs because they are such a solid team. They are always there at the end and it just takes so much to put them away. I think Gregg Popovich (sp?) is quite possible the best coach in the league and the Spurs' have the most well put together team in the league. They play great defence but are also very good and versatile on offence. Of course there is the "Big 3": Manu Ginobili (MANU!!!!), Tim Duncan (who is well, Tim Duncan), and Tony Parker (who is annoying). Either way, the Spurs are a very good and solid team all the way around. I have to say, though, they are fortunate to be this far. The Suns should have had them if not for an absolute load of garbage, unfair rule that the NBA decided to enforce and ruin the best series of the playoffs. But I will rant about that at the end.

The Cavaliers actually have impressed me this postseason. I didn't expect them to get this far and I have to admit that Lebron James has definitely been amazing at all the right times in the last few games. Even though his age is no higher than his jersey number (23), he is the main reason the Cavs are where they are right now. I still have my doubts about Cleveland, whether they play physical enough and if their role players (everyone but Lebron) will step up. I will go ahead and say that the Spurs will shut down Lebron and make the rest of the team beat them. They are way too smart of a team to let one superstar go ape crazy on them in the NBA Finals.

I've got the Spurs winning in 5.

The Spurs can go ahead and claim the title of dynasty. The Cavs are good and they've been impressive thus far in the postseason - you can't deny what they did to the Pistons. Still, the Spurs know how to win. They have been here several times before. I think that the leadership, talent, and experience of the Spurs will be too much for Cleveland. Spurs in 5.

Now, for what I was saying earlier, the Suns got screwed. I could not be more upset at how that series ended between the Suns and Spurs. It was a great series - and it was headed towards being a classic - until Robert Horry pulls a thug move and body checks Steve Nash into the scorers' table. As a result, Robert Horry gets suspended for 2 games. The problem is that two of Phoenix's starters (Amare Stoudamire and Boris Diaw) took a couple of steps onto the court after this happened - and both got suspended for one game.

So what you have here is Phoenix getting punished for something that a Spurs player started - a bench player at that.

I know that it's an NBA rule that must be enforced, but when it comes down to it that was just unfair. I think the Suns (whose starters had to play extra minutes in the next game) didn't win another game in the series. Boris Diaw and Amare Stoudamire committed a very human and understandable action. Robert Horry shoved Steve Nash down and they took a few steps on the court to take up for their 2-time (should have been 3-time) MVP. They didn't even do anything, and eventually moved back after the coaches instantly restrained them. Still, for taking a few steps, the Suns were left without two of their five starters for the next game - a game the Phoenix led at half time but eventually lost most likely due to the fact that their players were exhausted from playing extra minutes. The Spurs were left without one backup player.

I guess they don't call him "Big Shot" Bob for no reason.

Either way, this was the Suns year. And I hate to see it blown because of a petty NBA rule. I was disgusted with how the series played out. You watch sports because you want to see the games won out on the court (or field, or rink, or whatever). I hate to see something like that happen in any series, much less this one. It was a great one, too. It could have been a classic. Oh well, hopefully the Suns can continue their brilliant play and come back next year, although Steve Nash isn't getting any younger.

Until then I guess we have to see the Spurs pound the Cavs for a few games, and then we're left with baseball and NASCAR.

No comments: