Tuesday, April 29, 2008

BITR: Sandy (and how she wants to go back to Texas)

When I go back and think about why I like Spongebob Squarepants, I’m reminded of an episode I saw when I first actually sat down to watch the show. The name of the episode is “Texas” and it is a story about how Sandy gets homesick and wants to return to her home state of Texas. The joke that got me hooked played out when Sandy was on a bus to leave Bikini Bottom and Spongebob and Patrick were trying to get her to stay. The way they do this is by making fun of Texas. Spongebob turns himself into the shape of Texas, turns to Patrick, and says “Hey, Patrick, what am I?” Patrick replies saying, “I don’t know, stupid?”

“No! I’m Texas!”

“What’s the difference?”

Classic.

Texas deserves to be made fun of because, in my opinion, there is way too much Texas pride in this world. Sure, we do have the song “Sweet Home Alabama” to hang our hats on here. But for some reason it seems to me that Texas has a bit of an ego problem, kind of like it is the state that takes itself way too seriously. Two sayings come to mind:

“Everything is bigger in Texas.”

“Don’t mess with Texas.”

Well, Texas, you just got messed with -- and by a childrens’ cartoon. How does it make you feel now? Do you even realize that you produced Joel Osteen and you’re proud of it? Just think about that for a second.

So I ask the question again: What is the difference between stupid and the state of Texas? The two may be more similar than you think.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well I don't really care about Texas all that much. I personally prefer Alabama.

But the Texas episode is one of my favorites for some reason. I think its because it was the first time I really realized how weird it was that there was a sqirrel living in the bottom of the ocean.

Anonymous said...

that was very nice.
i love spongebob

andy said...

also, if you drive too fast in texas, they execute you.

true story.