Thursday, June 4, 2009

This is the world I see

I was talking to somebody I know the other day and he was telling me about how he had been reading through the Old Testament, specifically the book of Daniel. "Man, there's some scary stuff in there," he said. I agreed. The prophetic book has all kinds of strange imagery that can evoke fear. But this conversation has stayed with me because of what this guy said next, which is something along the lines of what I've heard preachers say for years now - that if God doesn't judge America soon, he is going to have to apologize to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Of course, that's not in Daniel. It's in Genesis, but the Old Testament gives accounts of God judging the world and punishing people for wickedness. There was the flood. There was Sodom and Gomorrah. There was all the tribes who inhabited the promised land that the Israelites were promised. All of these people faced God's wrath, and so what of America, whose people are committing some of the same sins today and yet we haven't been invaded or led off into slavery? We haven't been destroyed with a flood or fire raining from heaven.

While I personally don't believe God regards the United States in the same way as Israel in the Old Testament, my issue here is not really a theological one, but a question of perspective. It's about believing whether or not our nation and the world we live in are getting worse and worse, more sinful, and more corrupt each day. Of course, certain end times theology that includes the rapture and destruction of the world as we know it (which I believe has been debunked by N.T. Wright) has contributed to this outlook as well. People are going to become more corrupt. They are going to turn away from God and practice more and more evil. It's supposed to happen this way...

But I wonder that even though things are extremely far from ideal, is it really true that we are getting worse? I mean, the present may not be all that great, but what makes anybody think that America's past is so much better than its present? At the countries founding, we had stolen land from the Native Americans. We forced them off of their land, fought wars against them, and killed them in the name of God when we were motivated by nothing more than greed and selfishness. We also imported human beings from Africa who had been literally ripped from their lives, homes, and loved ones. We shipped them across the Atlantic Ocean on ships in the worst of conditions, bought and sold them as property, and forced them to work for nothing. And then there was the fact that at our nation's founding, you had to be a white, property owning male to vote.

It seems to me that while lots of things in this world aren't great, we are at least in many ways making progress. You would think that if God was going to punish us, it would be for the things we did to blacks, Indians, and others. The fact that we might allow gay people to get married has got nothing on that. For those that long for the "good old days," when everything seemed to be nicer, simpler, and more Christian; remember that these weren't necessarily the good old days for everybody. Is there a black man or woman who would look back to the 1950s as a better time? I think not.

But, I assure you this: If tomorrow there is a loud trumpet blast and we Christians are zapped up into the air to meet Jesus in the clouds, or if some other nation invades and hauls us off into slavery, or if a terrible natural disaster (global warming? That would be ironic...) were to wipe us off the map, I promise that I will eat crow.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is weird because I've been thinking about this exact same thing lately, and I was actually going to write a blog about it also.
So great post because I definitely agree with you here.

Matt Benton said...

Ha! I beat you to it! In your face E-beth!

Jerry said...

Since I do tend to criticize some, I thought I'd state that there is a lot here that I agree with. (Ok, I would suggest you do need to get some differing perspectives on the native American and slave thing - not that the europeans who settled here are not without fault on these issues - by a long shot - but that there is much much much much much (can I say 'much' a few more times?) more to the story than simply "oh white men mistreated the red men and the black men and women." Oh, that things were so simple.

I totally agree that the end-times craze that is part of modern American evangelicalism has been totally debunked - and Wright was far from the first or only one to do so. Among knowledgeable Christians, this whole theology of end times is really laugable.

On a worldwide scale, in reality, things are getting better. When we isolate ourselves to our own little petty experiences, we sometimes miss this. My parents for instance, would have fond memories of the golden days of growing up in rural Alabama in the 1950s and then look at today and think the whole world is going somewhere and wherever it is, it is in a handbasket. However, on the other hand, less than a hundred years ago, there were almost exactly zero christians in Africa and Asia, and today, there are hundreds of millions. While simply having more numbers does not mean all problems are gone, it does mean that on the whole, little tiny step by tiny step, the world is being Christianized. Ultimately, i believe, the whole world will fall under the Kingship of the King of Kings.

In the meantime, though, God does continue to judge individuals, families, organizations and yes even nations. The United States has a lot to be accountable for and in my opinion, even with all the warts in our past, the current state of our nation is far worse than it has ever been. I absolutley can not and will not predict when or how God will judge us, but rest assured, apart from our repentence, he eventually will. I for one, believe the sorry state of leadership we are currently experiencing, and have experienced for the last several decades, from both major parties, *could* be part of God's judgement. And i am sorry, but BO is with no doubt in my mind, the worst of the worst that we have had yet.

However, on the whole, I agree with a lot of what you say here and I commend you on the thoughtfulness.