Sunday, January 3, 2010

Spring Semester Preview

So I just finished signing up for my last class of the Spring semester. It's a little late, yeah, but I got it done. I wrote down on an index card the schedule, the times and days of when I have to be where and I've been staring at it for several minutes wondering if I've gotten in over my head.

It's not really the schedule that awful. There are just a few things that I can already tell are going to be a challenge for me. First of all, the earliness. Three days a week I have classes that start at 9 am. That doesn't sound so bad, but I have to drive nearly an hour just to get there. Since I am a night person and not at all an early bird, this is going to be tough.

The observation hours are going to be a pain as well. One of my education classes requires that I do 25 observation hours in a classroom at some point during this semester. This won't be all that bad if it's handled the right way. In other words, if I don't procrastinate and put it off until the end.

The driving is going to suck. I'm looking at around 2 hours in my S-10 each day. I've been thinking about how I can make use of all that time. Audiobooks is one idea. My iPod is definitely going to keep me company, and that will leave plenty of time for Podcasts (Rob Bell, now I can listen to your long sermons in one sitting!)

I can see the various pitfalls that might come up. The long drive will tempt me to skip class. Burnout will be inevitable. I will try to take short cuts. My truck might break down. And of course there is always the unexpected.

In spite of all this, I'm looking forward to the challenge. I know that I am going to get more out of this experience, and that it will mean a lot more when I finish, if it's hard. The first thought that popped into my mind when I looked at that schedule was that I am going to have to have more discipline than ever before. I can't be the student I was in the fall, I have to be something new.

And that's what this is all about, preparing me for a career that is going to be difficult and demanding. The question is if I am going to rise up to the occasion.

No comments: