Friday, July 31, 2009

Seeing Past the Donkey and the Elephant

In one of those vague childhood memories that is still with me, I can recall my first "discussion" I had on politics. It was with my mom, while we were going somewhere in the car. She was driving and I, being what I'm guessing to be around 10 years old, sat quietly in the passenger seat with my belt buckled. We had been to the polls to vote for governor or something like that. My mom was telling me that she always voted for the Republican candidates, straight ticket. That was why she didn't have to fill in all the boxes on the form. As a little kid, I just assumed that when I got old enough I would continue voting the way my parents did, and so I asked my mom, "What's the difference between Republicans and Democrats?" My mom, never being someone who really got into politics and who was faced with the difficult task of explaining the issues to a 10 year old, simply said, "Well, the Republican is the more Christian party and the Democrats are not."

That settled it for me. After all, I was a Christian and I knew I wanted to vote like a Christian when I turned 18. So without further questions I went on to vaguely support Republican politics through my teenage years. I formed a healthy dislike for Bill Clinton when all I really knew about him was that he cheated on his wife and that somehow that made him a terrible president. I supported Bob Dole when he ran against Clinton and all I remember is him falling off a stage while he was trying to shake somebody's hand. I had no idea really what either candidate stood for or wanted to do for the country. I just followed the Republican or Democrat label and that decided for me who I would pull for in elections.

My first chance to vote came in 2004 when I had just turned 18. At the time I was going to a church where it was preached from the pulpit that the Christian thing to do was vote Republican. Again, this was at a time when I really didn't care much for politics. I didn't question why we were at war in Iraq and I didn't really think too much about Bush's tax cuts for the wealthiest people along with other issues that were coming up at the time. The only person at my church who had a different take on politics was Andy. Andy talked about politics a lot. He voted for John Kerry that year. He and April were probably the only two church members to do so. But I have to admit I tuned him out a lot of the time because I really wasn't that interested. And it's not a pleasant thing to disagree on politics. I did, in fact, end up voting for Bush that year.

I say all of this because through all of those years I bought into a lie. It was a lie that my mom believed, my church believed, and I believed to be true. And that lie was that Republican politics and Christianity were one and the same. It's a lie that has been perpetuated through Christian communities in America for decades, and because of that politicians and talking heads have tricked Christians in order to get their votes. It has led to Christians in high percentages supporting policies like torture, an unjust war, and economic strategies that leave out the people that Jesus taught us to care for the most - the poor and vulnerable.

I think that this happens because a lot of times when we follow politics and vote, we get caught up in the game of partisanship and in doing so, we lose sight of the things we really stand for. When issues are split along party lines, it's easy for a person to see the other party as constantly wrong and their party as always right. For Christians, this is dangerous because neither party comes close to maintaining consistent Christian values, but we really act like they do.

I remember last month at my church when we had our annual 4th of July service. We sang all our patriotic songs and pledged allegiance to the flag. At the end of all the national praise it finally came time for the sermon, Pastor Ron went on stage and he said as calmly as he could: "I am a patriot. I am a God and country person. But, we have to make sure that it's not more about our country than God."

Pastor Ron was my hero that day. He was dead on. I have seen many times Christians getting caught up in politics, and the thing that ultimately decides their position on a particular issue is not their faith, it's their party affiliation. For instance, one morning last week I was at work and they had WDJC playing. On the morning show, they were taking callers to give their opinions on the "beer summit" in which Obama invited Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Sgt James Crowley to the White House to have a beer. This was in response to Obama's comments that Crowley "acted stupidly" in arresting the Harvard professor.

So people called in and many of them said that the president should not invite these men over to drink a beer, that as president he is a role model and by drinking beer he is setting a bad example. If you have ever read the Gospels, this should be probably striking you as ironic right now. Jesus, who is the ultimate role model and example for us Christians, drank wine. He once went to a wedding, and when the wine had run out he took some water and turned it into more wine, which was even better wine than they had at first! So what happened was Christians were criticizing the president as being a bad role model for doing something Jesus, the lord and savior, did himself.

What I'm trying to say here is God does not play along party lines, and so neither should we. The Republicans are not the most Christian party, and neither are the Democrats. Some people try to present that lie in both obvious and subtle ways. We should be careful that when we cast our ballots and decide what side to take on certain issues, we are not just playing the party game. The Bible says nothing about limited or expanded government, trickle down economic theory, or who you should or shouldn't tax but it says a lot about helping the needy, protecting life, caring for the environment, and maintaining peace. On these issues we should look beyond the red and blue, the donkey and the elephant.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

I agree and disagree with you. I think the outline of your argument is good, but some of your inner points I do not agree with (mostly because we have different political views). Given the fact we do have different political views, I think this is a good blog. The Reps are not all Christians, and they use propaganda to trick Christians into thinking GWB was a wonderful Godly President (and not to say he didn't have genuine faith, but his policies were not all Christian). However neither are the Dems the Christian party and they trick some Christians themselves that they are. Libertarians do not have it all right either, but that's a little off subject because they at least offer something other than the usual Red vs. Blue bull crap.

The reasons I do not like Obama go far beyond him drinking a beer with friends. I have my other reasons - that I believe his policies are not Christian, not because his animal is a donkey, but because of what he believes and does.

I also agree with your point that we should be Christians before Americans. Christ will always be King. America will not always be here. Nor is America a New Covenant version of Israel.

Anyway, overall, good post, and both Reps and Dems need to read it.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

screw all this phoniness.

AMERICA, F**K YEAH.

Jerry said...

Matt,

Believe it or not, I enjoy reading your blog. I like to read things from perspectives different from my own to challenge me to justify my own opinions, or, if I can't to alter them as needed.

There is much to agree with you in what you say. I do not think it very thoughtful to just say "The Rep. is the more Christian of the parties" as a beginning and end of our voting thought process. Actually, if you ever go to my blog (which is very inactive lately) probably the longest thing I've ever posted is entitled "Why I am not a Republican."

I am also very leary of somehow equating 'America' with 'God's Chosen People.' I am patriotic, love my country, pray for her, want whats best for her, etc. But she, like every other country is flawed, and also has no guarantee against falling into judgment.

In the end, I agree with your larger point, but as is so often the case, I find much to disagree with in your application of it. I could go point by point but of course, won't. However, one statement in your post struck me so as to make me feel compelled to comment. You say:

The Bible says nothing about limited or expanded government, trickle down economic theory, or who you should or shouldn't tax but it says a lot about helping the needy, protecting life, caring for the environment, and maintaining peace

Do you truly believe that an infinite God in his infallible revealed word to us has left us clueless about such things as government and economics? I believe the Word has plenty to say on such subjects. And, while the bible as you say does have plenty to say about caring for the needy, etc. does it anywhere suggest that mechanism for doing so should be the government (which you just said is not mentioned?)

That is where I disagree with the liberal view on this issue. Yes, Jesus does not just suggesst, but demands that followers of His concern ourselves with these issues. However, you show me where Jesus suggests that we should have government (which by its very definition IS the use of physical force for its purposes) be the mechanism for carrying out this mission. In other words, please show me Biblical evidence that Jesus is a statist. I do not believe that he is, and therefore, as one of his followers, I also am not a statist.

Unfortunately, both major political parties are essentially statists, the Dems only more advanced in this than the repubs. That is why I have very little faith in either of them as institutions, and only rarely find individual candidates among them who are worthy of my support.

Thanks for your time,

Matt Benton said...

Ryan and Jerry, I feel like I need to say that I like reading your comments. You might feel like you annoy me by always disagreeing with my posts and all, but I honestly think that's a good thing. I'm just glad somebody's reading. I also read your blogs for the same reasons that you read mine, for a different perspective.

I also should probably say that I would be the first one to tell you I am no theologian and my knowledge of government and politics isn't that great either. Probably the only thing in the world I would be some kind of authority on is the ways and workings of a small thrift store. What I try to do on my blog is simply call it the way I see it, just some guy in Alabama who is thinking about stuff and writing it down.

I do think that helping the poor should be a priority for the government. I would always support anyone who is willing to do so. As far as Jesus, well he didn't really talk about government that much. He didn't say that the government is obligated to help the poor, but he never ruled it out either. Jesus was obviously very concerned for the poor and he loved people, so I think that he would be for the help no matter where it comes from.

The church can do a lot of things to help, but then again there are many things we can't do. For instance, we can't provide health care for the poor. Many churches out there can't even agree on what style of music to worship to. I know there are people out there who take advantage of help and they are wrong for that, but should we just leave them all out to dry because of it? I don't think so.

Anyways, I always appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for posting.