Monday, December 22, 2008

Favorite Albums of 2008 (6 through 10)

Not that you care, but for the few people out there who might (and in the interest of keeping with tradition), I've made my list of my favorite albums for 2008. While I am no elitist when it comes to musical taste, I did go through a friend's iPod today and was horrified at poor musical choices he has apparently made in his life. Whether you consider it good or bad, I love the music I listen to. I won't force it on you, but I highly recommend it.

This year I included the songs that I gave a five star rating on my iPod. iTunes allows you the opportunity to rate your songs, which is one of my favorite features. 5 stars is the best and 1 star is the worst. I included the 5 star songs to show my favorite songs of 2008.

So that being said, on to the list:

10. Sandra McCracken - Red Balloon

Sandra actually had two albums released this year. One was the Ampersand EP which she co-produced with her husband Derek Webb. It released on Valentine's Day, which was appropriate since it was a CD full of love songs. If not for having only 6 songs, it probably would have made the list as well. Red Balloon, however, is much more experimental and original than her other releases. Just like all her albums, it took me a while to actually start enjoying the songs. But every now and then I would find that one of her songs was stuck in my head and I didn't realize it. While Red Balloon has some good songs on it, there isn't that one song that I have to listen to over and over - that "Portadown Station," that song that floors me every time I hear it. Still, the album is very strong and Sandra has proven again that she is one great songwriter.

9. Norma Jean - The Anti-mother

The Anti-mother is the first Norma Jean release since Bless The Martyr, Kiss The Child that is both brutal but at the same time equally appealing to listen to. This album has a raw, chaotic sound that I haven't heard anywhere else or from any other band, though my days of listening to hardcore music are mostly behind me. I have had a lot of fun listening to this CD, though. Some days I just pop it in to my CD player in my truck and turn it up way too loud. Of course, I can only take that for about 4 or 5 songs. I'm getting old I guess, but it still is a lot of fun.

I really like where Norma Jean is going with their sound. It seems like the songwriting is just plain better. It's not so focused on being too technical or too heavy. It's just good, and I like it, and that's all that matters.

8. Matthew Perryman Jones - Swallow the Sea

Five Star Songs:

Save You


I have never found anybody who could write songs that were simple and catchy, yet sounded original and deep at the same time. MP Jones writes choruses that are so easy to get into that I find myself singing along sometimes without even knowing it.

7. Andrew Osenga - Letters to the Editor: Volume 2

Five Star Songs:

Good Things Always Are
Let Us Know You


An EP inspired by ideas from fans, Letters 2 is simply vocals and electric guitar, except for one track where Andy O let fans record themselves singing and/or playing a part in the song and then send it to him to add. This album is a great tribute to just how talented Andy O is and how he can write good songs as well as execute them with only guitar and vocals. When I posted my iPod Top 25 Most Listened To Songs, tracks from this CD were all over it. Letters 2 would probably be the soundtrack to my fall semester of college. I listened to it at school more than anything else, and in a year or two when I stumble upon it again, I know that the songs are going to remind me of the last few months.

6. Copeland - You Are My Sunshine

Five Star Songs:

The Grey Man


I really like listening to Copeland's "You Are My Sunshine." I don't think I can even explain why, I just like it. The Grey Man is one of my favorite songs to listen to, and has been for a while. Copeland's sound is just so original and unique, it has been a breath of fresh air in a year when not a lot of good original music has come out.

No comments: