Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We Need a Montage

Question:

What do you do when your first round draft pick and fantasy football Jesus goes down in the first quarter of the first game of the season with a knee injury?

Answer:

NEVER.

GIVE.

UP.

A few years ago the answer would probably have been try to join a new league or start getting ready for fantasy basketball season. In my regrettable, not-to-distant past I have been known to bail on a few teams. But this year was different, I made a commitment to stick this one out, and that's exactly what I am going to do.

I wish that after week 1 I could have created a montage (with the Team America song Montage playing in the background) to footage of me adding and dropping players in my league. It would be even more inspirational than when Rocky runs up those stairs at the end of his training montage. I could just see myself clicking the Submit Roster button and then jumping up and down on my bed in victory. We need a montage...

Anyways, enough about my daydreams. Jay Cutler was at the helm this week. And by helm I mean the QB roster spot, and he did not disappoint. With 264 yds and 2 TDs, Jay Cutler along with Seattle's Julius Jones both put up 20-burgers on the fantasy scoreboard, leaving me with my second win in a row.

Tractor: 99
Hardcore Honky 2.0: 85

But the biggest surprise of the week is the fact that my highest scoring "player" on the team was not a quarterback, running back, wide receiver, or tight end. It was my defense. Allowing only 10 points and getting 5 sacks and 3 interceptions, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and the Baltimore Defense propelled Tractor to victory. Can this be expected every week? Probably not. But you know what they say about defense and championships and how they win them.

Scoring 99 points this week, Tractor is mowing through the competition, moving from 7th place to 4th. Only 1 team scored more points this week. The only problem facing me now is figuring out how to win even though 5 of my starters have a BYE this week.

NEVER.

GIVE.

UP.

No comments: